Why the app disappeared on October 1th

The app was removed from Google Play Store on October 1th. Google stated that the reason for the removal was violation of the content policy. The first part of the email I got from Google is shown below:

This is a notification that your application, Battlefield BF4 Stats, with package ID com.bcseime.bf4stats, has been removed from the Google Play Store.
REASON FOR REMOVAL: Violation of the spam provisions of the Content Policy. Please refer to the keyword spam policy help article for more information.
Your title and/or description attempts to impersonate or leverage another popular product without permission. Please remove all such references. Do not use irrelevant, misleading, or excessive keywords in apps descriptions, titles, or metadata.

It is unknown whether Google removed the app on their own initiative or it was a removed because of complaints from EA/DICE. Removal due to complaints from copyright owners will usually result in DMCA takedown notice. Since this was not the case, it is likely that Google removed on their own initiative. 

I find the reason for the removal to be ridiculous. The app did not try to impersonate the official Battlelog app. The description clearly stated that all graphical content were owned by DICE/EA. If DICE/EA had a problem with the app, they would probably contact me directly.

I tried to get in touch with EA/DICE with no success. Without any written, formal approval from DICE/EA, Google was unwilling to reinstate the app. I got the following response from Google after submitting a web form describing why I believed my app did not violate their policies. I got the following response:
We have reviewed your appeal and will not be reinstating your app. This decision is final and we will not be responding to any additional emails regarding this removal.
Google support for Android developers is very limited. There is no phone number to call, only a web form you can contact through. And you only got one chance to prove your innocence... I was left with only once option, republishing the app under a different name.

I republished the app on November 2th under a new name, 'BF4 Stats'. The 'Battlefield' part was removed from the name to make future app removal less likely ('Battlefield' is a trademark).

The premium app should continue to work as before. 

The app is now available at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bcseime.bf4stats2
IMPORTANT: Make sure to install the new app. The old app will not be updated!

This article was helpful for 29 people. Is this article helpful for you?